Thursday, April 19, 2012

Strawberries!

I got 20 strawberry plants planted.

At the recommendation of Flower Tree Nursery

http://www.flowertreenursery.com/

I added some cottonseed meal to the soil before putting in the plants.  The strawberries are planted in a tiered planter with netting to keep birds out!

Last year, plants did not get planted until June:  too late for here!  Although I did get a couple of strawberries, the heat burned the plants out.

This year the plants are out in April.  I plan on getting shade cloth to put over the netting when the heat comes in June!

Putting the straw on for mulch is new this year also.  This should keep moisture in the ground!

I can taste those strawberries already!

One thing I love about the local nurseries is the personalized service!  The people at these places know their stuff and know the local needs.  Much better than the box stores!

Shop Local!


No comments:

Post a Comment