Friday, December 9, 2011

My Mom's Divinity

My Mom's Divinity

My Mom always made divinity this time of year.  I love the stuff.  It is a bit tricky to make and I haven't always had complete success.  It could be my memory of her's is out of whack, or it just tastes better one someone else makes it, but I never feel that it is as good as what she made.  I have the original recipe that she used and know it can be affected by weather.

The last time I tried to make it, I only had a little hand mixer and ended up burning it out!  No divinity that year!

This year I have a big oster mixer and had pretty good success.

My Mom made the white divinity with chopped walnuts, but she also made a cherry divinity using maraschino cherries.  This one is even trickier!  Again, mine is good, but just doesn't seem totally up to par compared to hers.

The main thing is the good memory that comes with this candy.  I may never be able to make it like she did, but I will always think of her when divinity is mentioned!

For the cherry divinity, I got 10 oz jar of cherries.  Drain and pat the cherries dry and chop up in place of the walnuts.  Also substitute 1/3 cup of the juice for 1/3 of the water (1/3 cup juice, 1/3 cup water).

Mom's Divinity

3 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup corn syrup

2 egg whites

1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup broken nuts

Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a saucepan, stirring until boiling, then bring to hard ball stage without stirring.

Beat the egg whites until stiff.  Slowly pour the sugar mixture into the eggs and continue beating at high speed.  Beat until it holds it's shape and looses it's gloss:  add vanilla and nuts.

Quickly drop by the tablespoonful onto wax paper and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment