Monday, November 7, 2011

Goat Milk Ricotta

goat milk heated up to 195 F
 When I went to the store today, they had some goat milk reduced in price because it was expiring today.  Knowing how expensive goat milk is, I figured this would be a good time to snag some.  I have been wanting to attempt making some cheese.
When I looked online, each of the  recipes I saw said to bring the milk to a different temperature.  But all said making ricotta was easy.  Feta is a little more complex.
On my quest for finding cheese cloth, I found a cheese making kit I had bought and forgotten I had, so I decided to use that recipe, since all the supplies were in the box.
I used Ricki's Cheesmaking kit for mozzarella & Ricotta.
Their website is www.cheesemaking.com
finished product

The result was a creamy almost yogurt consistency, with a
yogurt flavor.  I would really like to experiment more with
the process some more.  Per other recipes I looked up you
can use either vinegar or lemon juice instead of the citric
acid that was in my kit.  So This is just the beginning!







Ricotta Directions
Pour 1/2 gallon Milk into a non-reactive pot (not aluminum or cast iron).
Add 1/2 tsp citric acid (came with the kit).
1/2 tsp cheese salt (came with the kit)
stir and heat the milk to 195 F.  Stir often to avoid scorching.
Turn off the heat and let it set for at least 5 minutes.
Line colander with cheese cloth and pour milk into it.  let it drain a while, then tie the cloth bag and hang to drain at least 1/2 hour to desired consistency.  After draining, cheese is ready to eat.  It will keep up to two weeks in the refrigerator, or can be frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment